Perfectionism

Image Source
have a problem. I do everything in my power to complete all my tasks on time in an orderly, efficient manner, yet when I accomplish my goals I still feel like a failure. I know I'm a hard-worker, but it's hard to admit when I'm too hard on myself. My schedule fits all of my classes, work, and extracurricular activities. When there's overlap, I've managed to remain committed. My grades are good, my friends are true, and people tell me my future is bright and golden. But, I'm overwhelmed and feel that I have no time for relaxation, rest, or proper exercise. I feel obligated to do everything, even when I know I have no such obligations. This is perfectionism.

Being a perfectionist is typically considered good, since the overachievers make straight As and Bs, win awards and trophies, and tend to have a strong work-ethic. Alongside these positives are many negatives - often ignored in the mainstream media - gaining momentum in the scientific community. When researching how my personal feelings towards my accomplishments could differ so drastically from those around me, Dr. Brene Brown's quote from GoodTherapy spoke to me. She said, "Perfectionism is not the same thing as striving to be your best. Perfection is not about healthy achievement and growth." This was my wake-up call.

I wanted to write about all the things I've learned since coming to college so that my readers could find something useful to apply to their lives. I've made a lot of mistakes, and learn something new and valuable every day, but I've also accomplished so much. This series will be for those who struggle to see the beauty in their present because of a few splotches on the painting of their past, and are frozen in place for fear of ruining their current canvas.

Sources

Benson, Etienne. "The many faces of perfectionism." Vol. 34. 10. November 2003. 18. Web. 3 December 2018. <https://www.apa.org/monitor/nov03/manyfaces.aspx>
Excellence. "Collins Dictionary.com" Collins Dictionary, 2018. Web. 3 Dec 2018.
Perfectionism. 3 August 2018. Web. 29 November 2018. <https://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about-therapy/issues/perfectionism>.
Perfectionist. "Collins Dictionary.com" Collins Dictionary, 2018. Web. 3 Dec 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Posted

Preparing for Midterms: 5 Tips

  Preparing for Midterms 1. Start early Check what type of midterm (if there is one) that your classes have (test, project, paper) and put t...