Why Should You Read?: An Introduction

By: Paige Waskow


Reading matters.

     Of course, you have heard this, had teachers tell you to read more, had classes where the curriculum is “reading intensive”, or heard of its magical benefits. But why does it matter if you read and how does doing so outside of a class during your precious free time actually benefit you? How can you enjoy it?

     Perhaps you are like me and enjoy reading. A. Lot. I grew up hauling as many books as my arms could carry down city blocks to my house from my local public library. But, in my educational experience, whether in middle or high school, reading was about being a better student in the short term and doing well on tests, rather than enjoying it and thinking about it in the long term. My educational experience did not really make me want to read outside of class. My personal experience and exploration as a child did. As students, I believe we have lost touch with the importance of reading for pleasure. I have friends explicitly tell me that they hate reading. Books mostly meant grades, tests, assignments, and skimming. Maybe you feel the same.

     There is immense value in reading in school, and this is not to undermine that. In fact, it is necessary to read in class and have deep conversations about texts. I think that our problem with reading is that we see it as something for school, something that can make us pass or fail, not as something that can be enjoyable, relaxing, and exciting. So, how do we take back that love for reading? How do we read more?


In the next few posts, we are going to look at:

1. Why reading matters

2. How to actually enjoy reading

3. Books you can read

4. Book favorites of the Learning Commons blog writers.


Image made with Canva

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Posted

Preparing for Midterms: 5 Tips

  Preparing for Midterms 1. Start early Check what type of midterm (if there is one) that your classes have (test, project, paper) and put t...