Time Management: Past Mistakes

When you graduate high school you are on top of the world. You’re the mature ones, the ones who’ve made it, no longer teenagers, but adults and the world is yours for the taking. College is the last stepping stone on your path to greatness. Hopefully, now that we’re a few months into the semester, you’ve realized that reality is not parallel to your fantasies. My preconceptions weren’t insane, but I did underestimate the amount of time and effort I would need to put into my classes to receive the same grades I did in high school. It’s a college thing. Ever heard that a college C is a high school A+? Me neither, until I realized I had a C in CSI. “Troubled” is the word that describes how I felt when I saw my first test. To better grasp why academics was suddenly a struggle I needed to reflect on my past.

Gif Source
High School
My HS required seven classes a day, and I took eight. Instead of doing homework after school, I was an officer in three out of my five clubs. Some days I went to volunteer. Like most Coe students, I was an overachiever who sought straights As and only slept for four hours a night. My classes were not easy, and being heavily involved provided great experiences but also massive amounts of stress. I spent four years trying to "figure out my life" so that I would be prepared for college. I woke myself up every morning and learned a few bus routes and schedules so I could get to my train on time to get to school. I learned how long it would take me to get dressed, grab some fruit, and whether I had time certain days to walk, or sprint, to the bus stop. I knew my schedule by heart and planned accordingly. However, that was high school, and I wasn’t prepared for the reality check I received when it was over.

Freshman Year 
At Coe, I was only required to choose four classes; naturally, I chose five. I believed I could handle anything after the nightmare of senior year, so I struggled to come to accept the mistakes I was making. I felt that I didn't have time to finish certain assignments, when in truth I wasn't making the time. I didn't ask my professors for help until it was too late. The list goes on. When you're a freshman you make a lot of mistakes. I though I had to "figure out" what I wanted to major in and what career I wanted all within the first few months, and I was wrong. To learn how to use my time more effectively I had to accept my mistakes and decide how I wanted to change. Then, I had to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Just Posted

Preparing for Midterms: 5 Tips

  Preparing for Midterms 1. Start early Check what type of midterm (if there is one) that your classes have (test, project, paper) and put t...